- I almost didn't post my 2012 Oscar picks. Tough to motivate myself this year. We are well into the 21st century, yet a black and white, silent movie is going to win most of the major awards. My picks:
Best Picture: The Artist
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin. Clooney won a few years ago for Syriana. The academy prefers actors who stretch, and play difficult roles. Clooney is simply playing himself in The Descendants.
Best Actress: Viola Davis. Last night over dinner, the son of a friend of mine explained to all of us that the Academy award voters are mostly old white guys. This is correct, however the voting academy is still one of the most politically-correct entities on the planet. Davis wins.
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer. Plummer for best supporting actor, and The Artist for best picture, are the two locks of the night.
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer. See Best Actress
This cat at the NY Times seems to have a good feel for who will win the 2012 Academy awards:
- For car buyers, it's tougher to end up with a lemon:
- "Who was the best pilot I ever saw?"
- Soprano's was one of the best TV series ever created. I was certainly hooked on it. It created a whole new genre and style of television, but was that a good thing?
- 20 common grammar mistakes:
- Why do astronauts crave spicy foods?